Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On the Lighter Side

I had just warned my friend Heather (who recently ordered her first prosthetic breast) not to laugh the first time anyone decides to grab it out of her shirt and run, when I misplaced my best one.  I have three.  One silicon, and two foam.  The silicon one is VERY realistic.  If I hadn’t been so open about all I’ve been through, one might not even know it was fake.  (d'ough!)  Anyway, I made the mistake myself.  The first time Ace, my 3 year old, grabbed it and ran with it, I couldn’t help but laugh.  You have to admit, that’s kind of funny…  A two foot tall boy, running as fast as he can, with a giant breast in his hands.  I quickly realized, however, that I had made a mistake, and explained to him that this was not funny.  That he should not grab that, or run with it.  (I guess it’s not as bad as running with scissors, but….) Anyway, I thought I had made my point clear, and he had pretty much stopped doing it.  Then, the other day, the silicon one went missing.  Richie said…”Did you ask your son where it was?  No, I hadn’t, and I thought that was a really good idea, so I asked him if he knew where it was.  He assured me that he had no idea.  I thought I must have just misplaced it again, like the time I found it out in the yard near my car.  (It had fallen out of my bag the night before after the boat party.) The next day, I had set the “back up” foam one on the counter as I usually do after my long day at work, and then I happened to look up as the boy was running away with it.  Needless to say, I followed him to his secret stash of breasts.  I remember when I was around his age I used to hide money in my room so I’d find it later.  I’m still very excited when I find money.  At this point, I cannot image the long term affect this is going to have on my son.

I’m up to 11 mile long runs on the trail, and I’ll start trail "training" this week. I’m pretty convinced that the Herceptin is causing me to lose 3-4 days per week of good running per 3 week period due to not feeling well.  The problem days seem to vary somewhere between day 3-day 10.   14 ish weeks until the end of Herceptin.  22 weeks ‘til Nueces.

1 comment:

  1. I just love this story. I still don't have my prosthesis for my kids to steal. I am having trouble getting the right fit (pocket too big, prosthesis too small).

    ReplyDelete