Saturday, August 27, 2011

New Years in August

As I mentioned in the past few posts, today, Saturday August 27th was my “You have Cancer”versary.

When it ended up working out that I was going to have my Infinity Pool Friday  on Friday, August 26th I was very excited to have something fun to do and to see old friends, but I had also initially secretly wished it could have landed on the date of August 27. But, as the date approached, and the more I thought about it, the more it actually seemed appropriate that I celebrate the last day, or the ending, of this year which began on August 27, 2010. It seemed more natural to celebrate the end of the year than that day that began it all.  Like New Year’s Eve, if you will.    I approached my Infinity Friday with a very relaxed attitude, like I had all the time in the world.  I did pretty much whatever I wanted to do.  Among those things included many of my favorites: I took care of the kids in the morning and got them off to school.  I then headed over to my beloved Hill Of Life.  I ran how I wanted to run.  Steady turnover on the flats, easy on the ups, and “balls out” on the downs.  I headed across the now totally dry creek over toward Moon shadow and I found myself climbing the next hill, and the next, and the next, because I knew it would give me another downhill sprint on the way back.  It was great.  A breakthrough in my fitness.  A feeling of freedom that is difficult to describe. (It was also about 4-6 degrees cooler at that time in the morning than it had been in about 60 days or so, so maybe that helped my motivation).  After my run, I headed over to my favorite’s…Casita Taco and Irie Bean and ordered my usuals. I sat outside and enjoyed the food, the coffee and the moment, and it all more than satisfied.  I went home to take a shower and relax.  I got to see my husband and share his lunch hour with him, which is a special treat.  I then did some shopping, and was off to the Northwest Austin Infinity Pool to see my friends. 

The day couldn’t have been more relaxing and enjoyable.   It is amazing how one can sit by (or in) a pool for 9 plus hours talking to friends, and relaxing, and the time really does feel like infinity in many ways.  No real distinct ups or downs, just smooth and easy, lacking any notion of an ending. This time, fortunately, my sunscreen was not expired J as it was the last time I had a day like this 2 years ago in the Florida Keys.

During these final hours of this year, a few other very cool things happened.  First, was that my best friend’s sister Lyndsay agreed to go running with me the next morning at my favorite trail in Northwest Austin.   Second, was that when I ate my slice of celebratory chocolate cake, it was the first time ever the cake seemed “too much” for me and I was o.k. with that.   Is it possible that I have somehow won my battle against chocolate cake?

My first day of this New Year turned out very cool as well.  I actually slept in until 7:00 a.m. which is unheard of.  I got up, got dressed, got to kiss the kids, and then got to take off again to go back out to NW Austin to pick up my fried Lyndsay to take  her to the trail.  I showed up early, which is pretty typical for me (she had talked me in to going running at 9:00 a.m. which in this heat is also an UNHEARD of start time for me, but I really wanted to do this run, so I agreed.)  Fortunately for me she was totally ready, and we were off and running by 9:00.  The run was awesome.  1.5 hours of mostly tree covered, technical, hilly running and hiking, and good conversation.   Lyndsay was very impressive.  She did this run like she’d run trails before.  She’s used to running on a flat cement path in Dallas.  I think she really liked it, and that made me very happy.

After the run, we were back to the infinity pool for a cooling off dip and then to say my goodbyes to my friends and back to my house to begin my day with the kids. 

Since Richie was scheduled for a recording session with his band, and I was scheduled to take Adaline to the Pony (Birthday) Party, I asked for some help with the kids from our friend Adriane.  We ended up taking both kids, and we made it to, and through, the Pony Party, and weren’t even the first to leave (miracle).

We were there for almost 2 hours between the hours of 3:00 and 5:00 on this day of record high temperature of 108 degrees.  One other major, very interesting breakthrough also happened during this party, and on the first day of this New Year.  At this Birthday party for this beautiful curly, blonde haired, blue eyed, athletic little girl, I did not feel jealous, or sad, for Adaline’s losses.  I felt only very hot, a bit out of my element (Amazed when I saw girls jumping rope. I haven’t seen a kid jump rope since I was a kid) and acutely aware of my own personal inadequacies as a parent.  (I’ve heard about these types of feelings….Am I becoming normal?) When they announced that we were about to “Paint the Ponies” I did feel the tunnel vision beginning, but I was distracted by something colorful, and able to recover.

What a great party.  I could never hold a party this fun and this well planned for children. So many activities, well thought out, and even well timed.  All the children seemed to have a good time.

Once I decided that this was my New Year’s Day, I began to think, where does March 4th fit into this new Calendar.  March 4th 2011 was the day that my MRI results came back clear.  I looked back at the calendar and I found it interesting that it was 6 months and 5 days between, “You Have Cancer” and “No Suspicious Mass Found”. Oh My! It just came to me. March 4th.  X-MASS Day!!


  1. SO happy that Infinity Friday was a success! You needed it. Looks like Ace would have preferred a go-kart party.

  2. X-MASS day! I love it!

    Glad you are doing so well. :)