Sunday, January 2, 2011

Phase II (T-H) Round 2 Giddy?

> Phase II: Round 2
>
> Done.
>
> Easy.  Even Great.
>
> Best week I’ve had in 3 months.  Christmas was good, but this week even better, due to the loss of the bone pain! Yeah!  Some mouth pain, but doable.
>
> As i mentioned in the last quick email, my blood counts were great.  Kinda funny though, because, when i was at the appointment, when the nurse was about to stick the needle into my port to check the levels, i freaked for just a moment (which i do every time they are about to stick that thing) and said, "if the blood levels are too low, then we'll have stuck this thing for nothing, right?"   The nurse replied, "yes", and "we can go thru the arm (which is usually not very painful) in case".  She also mentioned.. on the side,,,that every time we access the port it is a risk for infection...great.  So we went thru the arm for the first blood draw.  Most of the other lab people there are pretty good at that.  This girl was pretty good at something else, i'm sure.  Anyway, i was so excited about the huge rise in the blood counts, and a few other things, that i didn't even notice the bruise until yesterday.   The eventual stick into the port was not too bad, and despite the unexpected 1 hour wait to start the chemo, everything went pretty smoothly.  It was nice having Lisa there for entertainment and emotional support, for sure.  They gave me only 1/2 the amout of benadryl this time, so i was still a semi? functional human.  Able to walk myself to the bathroom, etc.
>
> One of the "other" things included the fact that i felt so good even on the day of the chemo, after 2 naps, that i was able to go out that evening from 6:30 to 8:30 to see Richie's new band Downtube Shifter play their first official gig!  It was awesome. 

The place was packed with people i haven't seen in ages, some i hadn't seen since The Knievels days, and also with people that the other bands had brought. The band rocked, and it was quite exciting and emotional for me to see Richie back at what he does best.  Even in the face of all this crap.  I often liken Richie to Gristle.  So tough, yet nutritious, and even enjoyable to the experienced.  Joints...they're what hold things together... like "The Glue" as he is known in some circles.   Richie is the person you want along when times get tough, I tell you.   The excitement of seeing John and Richie harmonizing again with the excellent additions of our old Rockin' drummer friend Hugh, and new friend Kevin on keys, along with seeing old friends, AND feeling great, was thrilling.  Wierd, for me also, in that i did not have a drop to drink and i was probably higher than anyone in the place.
>
> I thought i might be worn out the rest of the week, but not so.  As my friend Cindy said to her husband about me, it was like i was almost even "Giddy".  I like that description, because it is pretty much how i've felt this week.  It is odd.   I have even felt well enough to exercise 5 times this week!  1 elliptical, 3 easy jogs and one easy bike ride!  Oh yeah, and a few Squish Ups :).  Don't worry.  i never exercise to the point of feeling worn out.  I usually feel just barely tired at the end when i stop.  I do a lot of walking during the jogging too.  Due to my inherent skepticism, however, i am preparing myself for possible return of the downs.  But, i'll take these ups any day!
>
> Round 3 is on Tuesday 1/4/11.  I think i'll drive myself this time. :)
>
>
> Emily
> 1/2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment